The Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church was organized many years ago. There are no factual records to give the exact founding date. The Church records were destroyed in a fire during the 1950's.
The Church is believed to have been first organized in the late 1800's, by the great-great grandfather of Charles Loures. The land was said to have been donated by George Pickett or Will Abraham. The first church was constructed of logs and sat on a hill. The second church which was built at our present location, was constructed of plant on land donated by Jack Gault. The Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church has had several great pastors to serve. The first was the late Lark Simpson, Allen L. Shell, Jim Thompson ,the longest serving pastor, the late Joe Stevens, served 33 years, Cashual Lynch.
There has been great progress from the back in the day church to the present day church. With the Lord before us, we the members of the Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church will continue our spirit filled march up the King's highway in line with the current pastor, George C. Miller.
In 1957 Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church purchased 2.3 acres on E. Fairfield Road. Under the direction of several community volunteers a government orchestrated program, CEDAR, was brought to the site in the mid 1960's and programs for baseball, basketball, and football were offered. In 1973 Greenville County Recreation District entered into a 99 year lease for the property and the former Rosenwall School. Earl Lewers was hired as the first center coordinator. In 1983 the old school building was torn down and a new facility was built. The Recreation District subsequently purchased adjacent property on the corner of Fairfield Road and White Horse Road and in 1994 a gymnasium / activities center was constructed. The former center was dedicated as the George W. Walker Senior Center. Since then a walking trail and picnic shelter have been added.
The earliest minutes available were those of the Annual Session held at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, September 15-16, 1907. Mrs. Prudence Ballenger preserved them from the records kept by her father, the late Mr. M. C. Cooper, one of the earliest Secretaries of the Association. Accordingly, the following historical account is recorded from verbal account, borrowed data, and minutes of the Annual Sessions.
About twenty years after the Emancipation Proclamation of Negro slaves, the Reedy River Association was conceived and organized for those who did not have the privilege or opportunity to pursue formal education. Several churches in the lower part of Greenville County envisioned the need for spiritual enlightenment and formalized training, realizing that "No people can grow any stronger than the unity of converted hearts and the wisdom of educated minds." Thus, being led by the Holy Spirit, and having been exposed to the conflicts and successes experienced by the Enoree River Baptist Association (organized in 1868), they came together to organize an Association for the purpose of promoting the Kingdom of Christ; sharing their Baptist beliefs; and building an institution that would enable their sons and daughters to learn how to read and write.
The Reedy River Baptist Association was organized at Bethlehem Baptist Church on September 12, 1885. The Reverend P. L. Morris was elected as the first Moderator, and Professor L. F. Goldsmith was the first Secretary. The following churches constituted the grand body: Reedy Fork; Flat Rock; Union; Mt. Pleasant; Cedar Grove; St. Matthew; Reedy River; Poplar Springs; Shady Oak; Bethlehem; and Thessalonial Baptist Churches.
In the minutes preserved by Mr. M. C. Cooper of the Twenty-First (Twenty-Second) session of 1907, the Reverend L. W. Simpson was elected Moderator; M. C. Cooper was elected Secretary; and Mr. A. D. Sweeney was elected Treasurer. The session was held at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church. Also recorded and approved in the 1907 minutes, is a report of the Executive Board. They met in July 1907, at Union Baptist Church, and submitted plans to build a high school in Simpsonville, S. C. "to educate the sons and daughters of the Reedy River Association." Upon recommendation of the trustees of Reedy River High School, the Executive Board approved the purchase of a new school building for the high school. The Association paid $102.50 for the building, and the treasurer received $25.00 on the old building in Simpsonville.